With the colder weather in the last few weeks there has been an increase of vehicle thefts. There have been 16 reported vehicle thefts for the month of November to date. In many situations residents left vehicles running unattended or the keys were left inside the vehicle.
PAPS would like to remind residents of the following tips to keep your vehicle secure:
- Never leave your doors unlocked.
- Never leave your car running (unattended).
- Do not leave your keys in the ignition or inside your vehicle.
- Completely close all windows and doors.
- Do not leave valuables in your vehicle (if you must do so store items in the trunk or in a securable compartment).
- Park in well lighted areas (after dark)
- If your vehicle has a car alarm always activate this system
- If you have theft deterrent decals (place them a visible area on your vehicle).
- If you have a garage, park your vehicle inside it. Lock both your car and the garage.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Be aware of persons loitering and nearby activity.
If you notice any suspicious activity or experience a theft call 911 for an emergency or 306-953-4222 if it is a non-emergency situation.
Keep warm and stay safe!